Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Topic #9: Music - Opening Themes

Getting back on track with the #2014BloggerChallenge.  I missed the last one due to being way to stressed from work to really put energy into it. However, I'm determined that that will be the only one that gets skipped.  I also love that music is the latest topic.  Since Sakura-Con has inspired me to get back into watching anime again, I though I would share some of my favorite opening theme songs.  Opening and closing themes are a great way to discover new artists and what really got me into jpop and jrock.

First song is [crossing field] by LISA, the first opening to Sword Art Online.  I just marathoned all 25 episodes of the series in two days and plan on ordering the first volume of the light novel.  I discovered the show thanks to an AMV shown at the contest at con, and would highly recommend it (though I personally enjoy the first half of the series more than the second).
Next is Connect by ClariS for the anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica.  Another series I marathoned after watching the first couple of episodes with a friend; a really fantastic, darker take on the magical girl genre. All of the music in the show is great and I would love to get my hands on the OST. You also should definitely check out Magia by Kalafina, one of the shows closing themes. Sorry for no video, couldn't find one that I liked.

One of my favorite openings for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is Again by YUI.  I first learned about her from her song Rolling Star that was used as an opening for Bleach.  She's currently still on hiatus, so there's been nothing new from her in over a year, but a good singer to check out.
So, there's a very small selection of some great songs that came to mind.  Generally, the longer the anime, the more opening and closing themes there are. Opening themes also tend to be more energetic than the closing themes.  If you have any suggestions on anime I need to check out, please let me know! I'm fairly behind on the newer stuff that has come out in past the past couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment